Friday, August 26, 2011

Interview with the Esteemed Andrew Grey!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

All my guests are special, but every once in a while, we are graced with the presence of a very esteemed author. Today, it is none other than Mr. Andrew Grey, a personal favorite of mine. His books have made countless bestsellers' lists all on the major retailers. I've also read quite a few of his books, my favorite being the Love Means series. Without further ado, I give you, Andrew Grey!


1.  How did you get your start writing gay fiction and/or erotica? Please tell us a bit about your background and early beginnings.    
 I joined a gym to lose weight after I turned 40 and needed something read while I was on the treadmill.  I picked up gay romantic fiction and after a while, I decided to try writing it.  I was hooked and I haven’t stopped writing since.  My partner says I’m obsessed, I say I’m dedicated.  But after 25 novels and other shorter works, I’m starting to think he’s right.

(Nathan: lol...maybe you're both). 

2   What inspires you?  
 I get inspired by almost anything around me.  I have been inspired by works of art, people I meet, a television program,  even a news article.  Once I was on a tour boat on Lake George and I got the idea for a story while watching the expensive lake homes drift past.  By the end of the tour, most of Accompanied by a Waltz had come to me.  In my stories I also use a lot of my own experiences.  I also tend to use the stories my family tells me.  Unfortunately, they’ve now stopped telling me their good stories because they’re afraid I’ll use them.

(Nathan: Me too. Real life inspires me a great deal. I'm also inspired by song lyrics.)


3. What do you hope to accomplish with your writing? 
I hope to entertain and get an emotional response from my reader.  With each story I like to make the reader laugh, cry, and excited.  If I’ve done all three of those, then I feel I’ve succeeded.  The best thing of all for me is when I get notes from readers telling me that they connected with my characters and want to know more.  

(Nathan: Exactly! As authors, when we've made a difference, then we know that we can feel proud at the end of the day). 


4. If you had to choose, which one of your novels do you like the most and why? 
 I like Love Means… No Boundaries the most.  Robbie is my favorite character of all time.  He’s blind and yet he can ‘see’ better than most people .  He’s also had to overcome a great deal simply to get along in the world and yet he’s kind, caring, and extremely generous.

(Nathan: I agree. That one is my favorite too. I couldn't help but feel touched at the end). 


5. If you had a message for your readers and fans, what would it be?   

 That I hope each and every one of them is as happy in their relationships as any of my characters.  I write what I do because there is plenty of sadness in the real world and we all deserve a happy ending when it comes to love.

Andrew's latest novel is Personal Training of the Work Out series, available here.



Andrew's books can be found at Amazon.com

We will now open up the floor to questions from readers, fans and other writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment